I gasped to catch my breath and slow my heart rate as my eyes absorbed the winding trail before me. Inwardly I moaned. Another steep incline of jagged rocks and red dirt loomed ahead as if beckoning the brisk steps of the seasoned trekker. But I am not one of them. I guzzled half a bottle of water and pushed off the temptation to dump the rest over my dripping head.
I knew that if anyone was not prepared for physical challenge on this trip, it was me. “A group is only as fast as its slowest person,” the words of our leader echoed in my ears and I attempted to trudge on at a faster pace.
The mountain air was invigorating and the adventure of discovering a village with no guesthouses at the top piqued my interest. I tried to avoid the doubts that people actually lived at the end of this road and instead shifted my focus to the gnawing hunger in my stomach to keep me moving.
People did exist and we made it to our destination before I expected we would. Noodles never tasted so delicious. People were never so gracious. Before eight o’clock – we slept.
Dawn on the Himalayan Mountains made every step worth it and we embarked again – this time down. It wasn’t long before we lost our scanty trail altogether and blazed one of our own. We grabbed small shrubs and slid over loose stones, trying not dwell on what was below us. Sometimes I had to laugh - when there was nothing else to do.
Filthy, exhausted, and aching we reached the city of Kushma, Nepal. The noodles at the hole-in-the-wall cafe burned our stomach but we had earned them. Eventually we were climbing down a gorge to the riverside. A contented sigh escaped my lips as I dipped my toes into the frigid current. I listened to its rushing, mighty voice and its peace swept over my soul. I lingered for hours in my Creator's presence. And then I knew. I knew why I was supposed to climb that mountain and finish by the river. It is a picture to paint on my heart. One to never forget.
Our Creator is the Maker of mountains. He is asking me to climb some. Sometimes climbing is an adventure and I'm filled with awe at their splendor. Sometimes I think I might die. Sometimes I lose my focus. Sometimes it seems impossible. But no matter the mountains He puts before us…He is the Gentle Shepherd and He is faithful to lead us by the refreshing River. There we will be swept away by His power. There He will restore our weary hearts. There His love will cleanse us. There we will discover healing and abounding joy.
I look up to the mountains — does my help come from there?My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth!He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber.The Lord himself watches over you! The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade.The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon at night.The Lord keeps you from all harm and watches over your life.The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever.from Psalm 121
Can I just say how much I needed this post today... this week has been full of mountains and I'm tired of climbing them. Thanks for this lovely reminder that He put them there knowing they'd be hard for me to climb, but still asking me to do it! (And your pictures are gorgeous!)
ReplyDeleteWow, sounds like you are on a real adventure :) and to be able to see so much beautiful scenery!
ReplyDeleteYou have a beautiful way with words, Teresa! You make my heart ache to be in Asia again. :)
ReplyDeletePraise our amazing Father that we don't need to climb our mountains alone!
Love you. <3
Thanks! I appreciate the weaving of the ordinary into the supernatural!
ReplyDeleteWow Teresa! This ministered to my heart. Just what I needed to hear!
ReplyDelete