
Currently listening to on mp3: The End of the Spear
This story is amazing and will get God out of the box we put Him in!
Currently Reading: Safely Home(I can never read just one book at a time - it's a horrible habit to have!)
I'm not even half way through this excellent book and already it has provoked me to thinking (warning: there could be more "thoughts" to come then). And thinking that is "uncomfortable" no less! But that is good for me!
How much we "Americanize" our God - and may I say it (to my Mennonite friends and myself) "Mennonited" Him. (*Gasp* - I said it!) I love our church....but He is not Mennonite, American, or even Chinese - He is God. The One and Only God, Creator of the whole world (that means every tribe, tongue and nation!). There is none other but Him - for anyone. But are we worshiping Him as such? And if we would - how would that change the way our lives look?
I would love to hear your expert thoughts and opinions if you have (or haven't is fine too) read these books! How can we get out of this "putting God in a box" and truly know Him for who He is? That day is coming - and there are some days that I can hardly wait!!!!
Seeking to follow His trails! <><
btw - blogging is also a very "American" thing to do. ={
We complain when God doesn't come through for us but how often do we limit God because we have put Him in a box? Good thoughts to ponder... Thanks for sharing. Aunt Raine
ReplyDeletehey...I'm part-way through reading the first book--I watched the movie and was very challenged by it, so I decided to read the book!
ReplyDeleteThe second book I haven't read, but your thoughts on it are very thought-provoking =).
After studying the names of God at EXCEL, I have come to realize how *great* our God truly is!! Sometimes I wonder how we can ever even begin to know God! But then, I guess that's why He's given us the Bible! :)
Hugs!
oh, and please, don't close down your blog!
very inspiring post!
ReplyDelete[i love those books. especially 'safely home'!]
hope things are going okay for you guys!
Yeah girl. Ya know I've been thinking about this alot (hmmm, since when haven't I been thinking about how we menno/americanise God!) And as you know the Gaza conflict has just sent me into worlds of questioning and anguish. I wonder if how we view God has something to do with how we treat our fellow men. Is God so American and Mennonite that he is immune to our suffering brothers and sisters in Gaza? Is he also so concerned with theological principles and having a comfortable life (and by all means rejecting the Arabs) that he sits placidly and uncaring of what happens in daily life on planet? So maybe I'm going on a little bunny rant (which I'm good at) but somehow I wonder what would happen if we'd lay aside our boxes for God and see the Jesus of the Bible. I have a feeling our lives would become quite uncomfortable, but maybe we would truly live. Thanks for the post girl. Think of you and love you!
ReplyDelete