Monday, October 19, 2009

The Dream Giver

Margaret was my fellow "dreamer of dreams" in Asia. We dreamed a lot together – both of our drams feel more than a size too big for us…but it was fun to dream none the less. God has been teaching me a lot about dreams. True, some come and go and you wonder what they were ever about (like the one where I wanted to be an astronaut). But I have some that have been deep in my heart for as long as I can remember. And only recently has God been unfolding more of who He is as my Dream Giver. The following is an edited journal entry that came after one of my late night chats with Margaret ::

Margaret and I were once again talking about dreams tonight and my mind was transported back twelve years ago after the passing of a cousin of mine. She was young when she went to be with Jesus. I have few memories of her – but I remember that she loved dolls…she loved to dream that one day, when she got big, she was going to be a mommy. That was her Big Dream.

At the grand old age of eight I remember, after her death, having a conversation with a cousin of mine. Knowing my vivid imagination I suppose I was rambling on about something I wanted to do when I grew up. That “something” I don’t remember. But I do remember my cousin informing me, in all the wisdom that we eight year olds possessed, that we shouldn’t hope or plan on things like that…because our cousin did...she wanted to be a mommy…but she never will.


Somehow that conversation has remained tucked away in my memory. And at that very random moment with Margaret I realized in certain situations of my life I have indeed pulled it out of its slot in my brain. And perhaps in some way it was a little wall of caution and reason that went up whenever I would dream, hope, or plan. Perhaps it is partly why I have always been afraid of dreaming. Scared of being let down by life…and by God…and not getting my dream…like my precious little cousin.

As this went through my mind I realized that yes, my cousin did dream. And yes, she hoped to be a mommy someday. But I now realize that she was not let down. What she is living now with Jesus is more incredible than any dream she ever had here on Earth. Disappointment about never being a mommy has never entered her mind…because whatever she is experiencing there…is just so much better.

Life on earth is short - we don't know when we will forever be with Jesus. It's not about here - it's about there. But I think that means that as long as we are here…we should dream. We should hope. We must dream. We must hope. We won’'t be disappointed that we did when we get there – we won’t feel let down by anything we experience in that "forever home". If we feel any disappointment at all it will be that we did not realize God is as big, powerful, and present in our lives as He is. So if anything we should have dreamed and hoped and believed more.

Dream big, my friends! Be ready to also die to your dreams - but Our Dream Giver is doing something so much bigger with those dreams of ours than we know or understand! <><

**this post is dedicated to Kari - also my fellow dreamer of dreams - who is living something more amazing with Jesus then we can possibly wrap our minds around! She is not dissapointed.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks girl... exactly what I needed tonight. Been studying Anatomy and Physiology for hours and it's now 1:15am... hard to remember my dreams and the reason why I subject myself to this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done... Teresa, Nicely written!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful! And perfect timing! I needed to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa . . . this brought tears to my eyes. I needed this. It's such an awesome reminder of one of God's characteristics that too often i forget about. I want to print it out and put it in my Bible.
    I absolutely loved this part: "If we feel any disappointment at all it will be that we did not realize God is as big, powerful,and present in our lives as He is. So if anything, we should have dreamed and hoped and believed more." That should be written in bold, LARGE font! =)
    Thanks for remembering Kari . . . I love to know that other people still think about her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Teresa:) I loved reading this! You're right-when we are with Christ, we won't be disappointed that we were not able to completely fulfill our "things to do before I die" list. And in light of that, let us dream the dreams that God has given us. I've never heard anyone refer to God as the Dream-Giver...but He is, and I love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teresa, thanks for this post! It is a very timely post for me because so many times I feel like letting my dreams die instead of holding on tightly to them. Though it's not that I don't want God to take control.

    ReplyDelete