Monday, June 11, 2012

Seeing Jesus #3] The Moon Painting

This post is the third of promised stories about people that have impacted me, shown me Jesus, and brushed past my life in a moment.  


I’ll call him George. He comes in to the store with his care-giver. He seldom buys anything but dawdles aimlessly through the aisles. He has big, thick bifocals and wears a tattered white t-shirt that is a size too big. His eyes can’t focus and you have to concentrate to understand what he says. Some would call George “special”, I guess. 

The other day when he came in he peered into the display case at a collection of colorful paintings. Suddenly he looked up and said, “I am making you guys a painting. Yup, it’s a white moon with a black background. It’s really big. I just have the edge done. But when I am done I’m going to give it to your store and you can sell it.”

He talked for the next five minutes about his moon painting and how much he likes to paint. His care-giver looked at me apologetically. But something in my heart told me that Jesus loves this man very much. George always has time to talk with me, everyone else rushes past. Who else creates something special to give to our thrift store? We always get people’s junk - not their masterpieces. Maybe he will get it done, probably he won't, but he thought of making a painting, a moon painting to be exact…just for us. 

I need to listen to the Georges more. They have a lot to teach me about relationships and selfless love.  They have a lot to teach me about Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment